ProtectedSeas Navigator is the most comprehensive interactive database of marine life protections and their boundaries. Navigator focuses on areas that protect marine life and conserve habitat in saltwater and coastal zones. We include only Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) with verified regulations and defined boundaries* that complement commercial and recreational fishing regulations. In addition, Navigator also includes other areas to promote conservation when possible:
- Fisheries management areas are included for select countries (see map or this list for reference)
- Other Effective Conservation Measures (OECMs)
- Water quality protection zones
- Speed zones for marine mammal protection
- Military closures, vessel traffic areas and areas are included if they also manage extraction in some form.
* China is the only exception since only GPS points were provided.